Monday 27 July 2009

Vernazia: La Biennale

La Biennale was not only an overwhelming amount of art, but also an overwhelming experience, in the best way possible. I really enjoyed the chance to see so much art in such a condensed amount of time, because I was able to closely compare the art from so many different countries and figure out what made the biggest impression on me.

Overall, I enjoyed the Giardini the most. I feel the art there was well rounded and offered something for everyone. I learned more about art from those delightfully packed 5 hours than probably most people learn in a lecture hall. I think the Biennale is an amazingly powerful experience in the way it effects an artist and what an artist can learn from art from around the world.

The exhibition I enjoyed the most was at the Spanish pavilion, ironically the first art I saw. The mixed media pieces, by Miquel Barcelo, stuck with me throughout the entire Biennale experience. The large size and very 3D aspects of his work drew me closer and had me studying each stroke, color, and protruding paint covered pieces of fabric. There was so much thought and care placed into each color and placement of the fabric pieces to create the wave like texture. I was captivated by the artist’s obvious talent to create such a complicated and eye catching piece. Every time I looked through his work there was something else to study and inspect more closely. His art was all done in a harmonious manner that made his art enjoyable, calming, and easy to appreciate for what it is, art.


-Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment