Friday 24 July 2009

















The End

Ragnar Kjartansson

Iceland


When we as viewers walk into a gallery, we see pieces that are perfectly planned out. We hear audio that is perfectly timed out. Everything is perfect; everything is planned. Sometimes it is hard to fight the feeling of disconnect from the pieces the artists are presenting. What are their processes? What were they feeling? How do they work? 


After moving from Pavilion to Pavilion at the Venice Biennale, I was exhausted. Too many videos I didn't understand. Too many pieces that seemed redundant. I left feeling somewhat uneasy with the art I saw. I thought to myself, "Is this really what I'm getting myself into?" This is not to say I didn't enjoy it. There were some artists that struck my eye. There was still a little glimpse of hope that art could still be created by the hands and not fancy computer software. (Mostly, I am just jealous of those capable of using this software).  


On the way back to the hotel, we decided to stop at the Icelandic Pavilion, which was outside of the Giardini. Upon entering, I was immediately confused and uncomfortable. I had stepped into what looked like a private artist's studio. Beer bottles, blank canvases, old records, everywhere. There was a man painting a model on the couch. The doors opened up to a beautiful Venetian canal. There were numerous canvases sprawled about the room; some painted, some not. I looked around and saw that all of the paintings had been painted in that same room with that same model. I realized THAT was the art piece! The artist had recreated a studio in the Pavilion and painted everyday for everyone to see. For 6 months! 


I was so refreshed. The piece wasn't about perfection---it was about the experience. The piece was about the making of a piece. It was something I, as an artist, could relate to the most. My favorite part about making art is the process and the experiences I have while creating it. I was honored to feel like I had experienced part of this man's process. It didn't feel staged (though to some respect, it was), it felt real. And it was awesome. 


Overall, the Biennale was incredible. I really did thoroughly enjoy the entire experience. I am lucky to have seen such a wide variety of artists from all over the world. And what better place than Venice? 


-Emilee


No comments:

Post a Comment